Date, time & venue
2019-12-13;8:45 am (registration) for 9:00 am to 5:00 pm;FJ304,PolyU
(Supported by Structural Division)
Scope and Objectives
Eurocode 4 is the new standard for design of composite structures. It covers many forms of composite structural design and provides the most comprehensive and up to date set of design guidance currently available. It is a robust and rigorous design code and but takes a less prescriptive approach to design. As such it offers flexibility and opportunity in design but will require clear understanding and careful application.
This one-day seminar considers the key changes that Eurocode 4 brings, illustrating the design challenges through presentation, discussion and work examples, and offers expert advice and opinion on the practical application of the new European design codes. This seminar concentrates on the design procedures for composite beams and slabs as used in modern building construction. It also covers shear connections, column design and the interaction between Eurocode 4 and other Eurocode parts. Cross references will be made to the other Eurocode parts necessary to develop design solutions, for example; Eurocode 2 (concrete) and 3 (steel).
This seminar is tailor-made for experienced Civil and Structural Engineers who design or supervise the design of Composite steel and concrete structures. If you are an experienced designer, competent with design to current British Standards and looking for transition training covering the key changes between the British Standards and Eurocodes, then the 1 day seminar will meet your requirements. For each of the principal aspects covered, the course provides background to the structural behaviour, explanation of the codified treatment
including departure from existing practice (BS 5950 and BS5400), illustrating with worked examples where appropriate.
At the end of the course delegates should have:
• The ability to undertake the design of basic steel concrete composite structures to Eurocode 4;
• The ability to navigate effectively around Eurocode 4 and other Eurocode parts necessary for the design of composite structures;
• Knowledge of the challenges and opportunities that Eurocode 4 brings to composite structural design;
• Knowledge of the Eurocode suite and how the code parts interact.
Professor Dennis Lam is the Chair of Structural Engineering in the School of Engineering and Director of Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments at the University of Bradford, UK. He is a Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers and Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers. Before joining the academia, he had spent more than ten years in engineering practices. He is currently a Visiting Professor at Tsinghua University and Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He is the European Editor-in-Chief for Steel & Composite Structures and serves on the editorial boards for six other international journals in structural engineering. He chairs the Working Group of the European Standard Committee, CEN/T250/SC4 responsible for the revision of the Eurocode 4.
English will be the official language.
This seminar is recommended for ONE CPD day. An attendance certificate will be issued.
The registration fee includes a copy of lecture note
Regular Registration: HK$900 each for HKISC/ HKIE Members; HK$ 1,200 each for non HKISC/ HKIE Members.
Group Registration: HK$ 900 each for group registration of at least 5 people
Please follow the 2 steps registration procedure:
1. Fax (2334 6389) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the completed registration form to Mr. Sam Chan for preliminary registration.
2. Post the completed registration form together with a crossed cheque payable to Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction, Mr. Sam Chan, HKISC, c/o ZN912, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hunghom, Kowloon, Hong Kong. on or before 11st December 2019.